Monday, August 17, 2009

An Update...

Well, I have enjoyed being off of school for a few weeks and being home with my sweet girl! There has been a lot going on. Last Monday, we went to Woman's Hospital for a swallow study to make sure that EK was not aspirating. It was a D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R! We all know that Emma Kate has a phobia of all things doctors and hospitals, so this did not come as a surprise to me. And, did I mention it was smack in the middle of her nap time? Our goal was to have her swallow several different textures of food and liquid. She did not cooperate, and I can't blame her. It would have been very scary for a child who normally loves to eat. However, she did get down a VERY small amount, and of what she did swallow, she did not aspirate. The speech therapist, who was working with us, is going to review the video again in slow motion to make sure everything looks okay. If it does, then we will start to try liquids again. She has been very interested in her sippy cup lately. I hate to pass up a chance to try it with her, but we want to make sure it's safe for her first. Special thanks to Danielle, Emma Kate's most favorite therapist in the whole wide world, for going with us to the swallow study. She was, as usual, a HUGE help to me!


In other news, Emma Kate has been doing so much better with eating!! I have learned that she is into "big girl foods". She LOVES ritz crackers and cheeto puffs! Who knew?! I am SO PROUD! I'll attempt to post a video soon.











We have switched her formula again, since Boston, and her tummy seems to be feeling much better. She also seems to be growing like a weed! Tomorrow, we will go see her pediatrician to discuss the findings (or lack there of) from the swallow study. We will also weigh her to make sure she is gaining weight appropriately.


Emma Kate has also recently become a fan of t.v., a really big fan! In fact, I'm not sure how to deal with. She loves to get right up to it. Could this be bad for her eyes? Probably so. Don't worry, I don't let it go on for too long :)



She loves Elmo.






And this creepy guy from Sesame Street...








And Sid the Science Kid.




But most of all...she just loves to play...all day!




Also, Emma Kate is happy to announce the newest member of the family. Her first cousin, Benjamin Campbell, was born yesterday morning. He is the sweetest little thing, and we love him so much already!


Emma Kate meets Ben for the first time.

I am so happy, and so very thankful to be able to report good news. Please continue to pray for Emma Kate. She is still very delayed in some areas (especially in her speech and eating). We rejoice with each milestone, but we realize that we still have a long road ahead of us. We are thankful for each of you for loving us and keeping up with us. As we look back over the summer that came and went so quickly, we are so thankful for God's watchful hand over us. We learn more about His sweet love each day. He is SO good to us :)

2 comments:

  1. My sweet, precious girl, you never cease to amaze me! I'm so proud of your continued progress and strength. By the way, Cheetos and Sesame Street used to be some of Auntie Lindsey's favorites growing up, too! You sure do have great taste. :) Love you, sweet angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an awesome post. Emma Kate is such an amazing baby girl and its clear that she brings so much joy to y'all's life! Thank you for sharing all of this wonderful news with us. :) We continue to pray for Emma Kate and thank God for all that He's done!

    ReplyDelete