Dear my sweet, precious, most beautiful girl,
I can’t believe that you are three years old today. I have been reflecting on the joys and sorrows of the past three years a lot this past week. Maybe it’s because you’re such a big girl and you’re staring school on Monday. Maybe it’s because you’re such a big girl and you’ve aged out of Early Steps and we’ve had to say goodbye to all of our wonderful therapists. Maybe it’s just because we’ve had a lot of changes in the past week. Emma Kate, you have taught me more in the past three years than I could ever teach you in a lifetime.
Do you know that you are my hero? When I think about what your tiny little body has been through in the past three years, it completely overwhelms me, but yet, you have remained incredibly strong. You have been so strong for Daddy and me, when we should have been the ones being strong for you. You are such a fighter, and you have made a fighter out of me too.
You are my hero.
Do you know that you have taught me so much about Jesus and about how much He loves us and cares for us? He loves us so much that He chose Daddy and me to be your parents. How blessed are we? And He loves you so much, that He chose to make you incredibly special. You are so tiny, but yet, I think He is using you to change the world. One little piece of the world at a time. You are His. I am His. Daddy is His.
He loves us so much.
Do you know that you have taught me to look at the world in a totally different, much more beautiful way? I see beauty in things that I never saw beauty in before. Thank you for teaching me how to love people better. Thank you for teaching me about brokenness. Thank you for reminding me how much I need a savior.
I need a savior.
Do you know that you have taught me what truly matters in this life? Thank you. You have helped me take my focus off of the things of this world and focus more on the things eternal. God is using you to help me pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. And to fight the good fight of faith. And to take hold of eternal life (1 Timothy 6:11-12). He is using you for my sanctification.
You are so beautiful to me.
Do you know that God has used you to help teach me the beauty of suffering. God teaches us that suffering helps us grow. It is so true. You have also helped me learn that His ways are beautiful and His plan is perfect for us. You’ve taught me how small I am, and how big God is. I love in Job where the Lord says,
“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements—surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?” (Job 38: 4-7).
God is so big.
Do you know that a sovereign God wrote our story, Emma Kate? He is good, and His steadfast love endures forever (1 Chronicles 16:34). We don’t have to understand why He chooses to do certain things. He is who He says He is, and He will do what He says He is going to do. When the world tells us that we can never be good enough, or smart enough, or pretty enough, Jesus says we are beautiful.
“But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
His grace is sufficient for me.
I could write for weeks and weeks and never be able to express how much I love you, or how much God loves you, or how much you have taught me. Everyday I wake up and love you more than I did the day before. I can’t remember what life was like with out you. You make Daddy and me laugh, and smile, and you make us so proud. We believe in you. And we delight in you.
God delights in you too.
The Lord your God is with you.
He is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you.
He will quiet you with His love.
He will rejoice over you with singing.
Zephaniah 3:17
I love you beyond measure,
Mommy
And a very happy third birthday to you, my sweet girl!
I can’t believe that you are three years old today. I have been reflecting on the joys and sorrows of the past three years a lot this past week. Maybe it’s because you’re such a big girl and you’re staring school on Monday. Maybe it’s because you’re such a big girl and you’ve aged out of Early Steps and we’ve had to say goodbye to all of our wonderful therapists. Maybe it’s just because we’ve had a lot of changes in the past week. Emma Kate, you have taught me more in the past three years than I could ever teach you in a lifetime.
Do you know that you are my hero? When I think about what your tiny little body has been through in the past three years, it completely overwhelms me, but yet, you have remained incredibly strong. You have been so strong for Daddy and me, when we should have been the ones being strong for you. You are such a fighter, and you have made a fighter out of me too.
You are my hero.
Do you know that you have taught me so much about Jesus and about how much He loves us and cares for us? He loves us so much that He chose Daddy and me to be your parents. How blessed are we? And He loves you so much, that He chose to make you incredibly special. You are so tiny, but yet, I think He is using you to change the world. One little piece of the world at a time. You are His. I am His. Daddy is His.
He loves us so much.
Do you know that you have taught me to look at the world in a totally different, much more beautiful way? I see beauty in things that I never saw beauty in before. Thank you for teaching me how to love people better. Thank you for teaching me about brokenness. Thank you for reminding me how much I need a savior.
I need a savior.
Do you know that you have taught me what truly matters in this life? Thank you. You have helped me take my focus off of the things of this world and focus more on the things eternal. God is using you to help me pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. And to fight the good fight of faith. And to take hold of eternal life (1 Timothy 6:11-12). He is using you for my sanctification.
You are so beautiful to me.
Do you know that God has used you to help teach me the beauty of suffering. God teaches us that suffering helps us grow. It is so true. You have also helped me learn that His ways are beautiful and His plan is perfect for us. You’ve taught me how small I am, and how big God is. I love in Job where the Lord says,
“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements—surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?” (Job 38: 4-7).
God is so big.
Do you know that a sovereign God wrote our story, Emma Kate? He is good, and His steadfast love endures forever (1 Chronicles 16:34). We don’t have to understand why He chooses to do certain things. He is who He says He is, and He will do what He says He is going to do. When the world tells us that we can never be good enough, or smart enough, or pretty enough, Jesus says we are beautiful.
“But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
His grace is sufficient for me.
I could write for weeks and weeks and never be able to express how much I love you, or how much God loves you, or how much you have taught me. Everyday I wake up and love you more than I did the day before. I can’t remember what life was like with out you. You make Daddy and me laugh, and smile, and you make us so proud. We believe in you. And we delight in you.
God delights in you too.
The Lord your God is with you.
He is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you.
He will quiet you with His love.
He will rejoice over you with singing.
Zephaniah 3:17
I love you beyond measure,
Mommy
And a very happy third birthday to you, my sweet girl!
Absolutely beautiful! I'm moved to tears by your precious message to Emma Kate! Your words are so close to my heart but much more elegant than I can ever express myself! I'm so blessed to be building a friendship with you!
ReplyDeleteEmma Kate, you are so blessed to have such wonderful parents. I hope you have a very happy birthday!
XOXO,
Angel and Jude
If there was a "love" button I would click it! Emma Kate is so special to us and we are blessed to call y'all friends. :) I hope y'all have a great Birthday Day!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a precious post. How special your family is and what a witness of God's grace you are. I am so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteMom
Happy Birthday to Emma Kate!
ReplyDeleteI love you and your sweet family. I love your honesty. I love your gift of putting into words what you are feeling. I especially love your heart. I value your friendship.
ReplyDeleteI miss you! Happy birthday Emma Kate :)
Hopkins' fam
Happy Birthday Emma Kate !!!
ReplyDeleteTime passes so quickly it seems;every minute so precious! What a beautiful dedication to your baby girl on her birthday. She will treasure those written words one day. God Bless you three! Lenny and Margaret