Thursday, April 26, 2012

Wrestling With an Angel

I sat down to blog about Easter, playing outside, yada yada, but I clicked on the Desiring God link on my sidebar and got sucked into virtual never never land. I guess if I am to get sucked in, it might as well be with John Piper, rather than my typical go-to wastes of time known as Pinterest, Facebook, etc. I found all sorts of great resources from one of their contributers, John Knight. He blogs about issues of disability.

Anywho, as I was furiously reading and trying to soak in all of the information I could before Thomas woke up from his nap, I stumbled upon this:

http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/the-glory-of-god-in-the-gift-of-disability

What do you know? An article and a video dealing with the bible study we're doing right now. We're using Greg Lucas' book, Wrestling With An Angel. While the book deals with disability, it is really a book about God's good grace, and is helpful for anyone. This bible study has been good and hard all at the same time for me. This video does a really good job of summing up the book. If you have 5 minutes to watch it, you should. If you have more time, you should read the book too. He does a great job of putting in to words what I can not.
"Jesus says that the purpose of the blindness is to put the work of God on display. This means that for our suffering to have ultimate meaning, God must be supremely valuable to us. More valuable than health and life."  John Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment