This girl…

…was star student this month.

Here, she’s modeling her lovely crown and medal of honor ;) Y’all, I promise she doesn’t sit in this pink beanbag all day. Sitting her in the beanbag and putting on Mickey is the ONLY way I can get a picture of her these days. She is a girl on the go!!
We are so proud of her. She is doing SO WELL in school. I can’t believe, actually, just how well she’s doing. She’s going all day, five days a week, and she loves it. She smiles all the way to school every morning. She’s napping well at school. She’s eating better. She’s more aware. She’s understanding things better. She’s doing more. She’s starting to follow simple commands (like “go get in the bathtub”, or “let’s watch Mickey”). It makes me so happy (and proud!), that I’m having trouble putting it in to words. Her school is amazing. Her teachers are amazing. I could go on and on. And on.
We went to the Avett Brothers concert on the 15th. One word: Amazing.
We baptized Thomas on March 18th, and it was really, really, really sweet. I wish I had a family picture, but I’ll just say that trying to get a family of four out the door, on time, and all dressed and pressed for church is a feat in itself, and remembering my camera apparently wasn’t on my to do list. If you’re a mom you understand :)
I love infant baptism. I mean I really, really, really love infant baptism. While I know there are lots of theological debates on the topic of baptism, for me, it is the sweetest picture of the gospel-- coming completely helpless like a baby...Sometimes with lots of crying and screaming and fighting on my part...Not because of anything that I have done, or could ever do, but everything because of what He has done for me on the cross...And because of what he has done for me on the cross, I am sprinkled clean and washed whiter than the snow.
There is also nothing like standing in front of your covenant family and seeing all of the hands raised. And with their hands raised, they are promising to help you in raising and teaching your child, and they are also promising to love them as a covenant child. And I believe their promise, because I know how they’ve loved me as a covenant child. And I see how they’ve loved on Emma Kate...But quite possibly my favorite part of the whole thing was hearing the whole church sing Jesus Loves Me to Thomas. So. Very. Sweet. As usual, I cried like a baby.
Thomas and Emma Kate were both so good throughout the service. I really couldn’t believe how calm and quiet Emma Kate was during church. It was the first Sunday she’s ever been in “big church.” Thomas, on the other hand, was not so quiet. He talked and babbled and talked some more, but it was cute. Everyone joked after the service that he is going to be a preacher one day, just like his Uncle Campbell (who baptized him, by the way).
Thomas wore my grandfather’s gown. I WILL get him back in it to get a picture before he outgrows it, but let me just tell you, it is such a fragile little thing. The gown is close to 100 years old, and worn and tattered as it is; it is still so beautiful. My grandfather was baptized in it a Plains Church. And my mom wore it and was baptized in it a Plains Church. And my sisters and I wore it and were baptized in it a Plains Church. And both my kids wore it...and their cousins have worn it, and etc. and etc. It’s quite a sentimental little gown.
Since I have no pictures from the actual baptism, a few pictures from lunch will have to do. We had our family over for lunch afterwards. Let me just say that I have a lot of learning to do in the whole having-family-over-for-lunch-after-church department. My mom’s a pro at it, but my goodness, it is work to get all of the food, all at the right temperature, all at the same time. Mom once again saved the day, and pretty much did it all for me. But, hey, at least I know how to set a table :)




On the 24th, we had lots of fun at the Heart Walk. We, along, with about 25,000 other people, walked to raise money (and awareness) for the American Heart Association. We were proud to walk in honor of Emma Kate and Julianne. They are two of my littlest heroes!
Do I need to say again that life is just plain crazy with two little ones? Well it is, and because it is, I usually don’t leave home with my brain completely intact. That’s my excuse this year for not getting a picture of Emma Kate and Julianne together. Boo.
I did manage to get some other cute pictures of family and friends who came to walk with us, though. Thanks so much to everyone who bought t-shirts, donated money, and/or came to walk. I think I heard on the news that the AHA raised almost $1 million. Not too shabby.









March was also full of lots of other fun things…the coming of a new season—hooray for spring!, birthday parties, bible studies, and a trip to Jackson, MS for Special Needs Ministry. I have lots and lots to say in this department, but there are two, cute, little people screaming for my attention. Apparently Mickey has ended, and I just caught Thomas watching The Real Housewives of Atlanta. There’s a girl singing “Don’t Be Tardy for the Party”. Oh. Dear. Hopefully his little almost 8 month old brain is not registering that, but just in case…Thomas, it’s okay to be tardy for the party. Or to not go at all. Just saying ;)
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven...a time to plant, and time to pluck what is planted…
Ecclesiastes 3:1
Oh, this made me cry. Don't even know why. I love your heart and you are an amazing mom.
ReplyDeleteYes, that beautiful fragile gown. Can't wait to see it on Thomas. It's been 38 years since Erin wore it. Tell Emma Kate we are very proud of her as well. Rachel, thanks for all the pictures along with your wonderful blog each month. I don't know how you find the time! Happy Easter!
ReplyDeleteYou are so inspiring, Rachel! I hope to be half as great of a mom as you are :)
ReplyDelete-Laura Kate
One word. L.O.V.E.!!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful beginning to our day! Loving on all of you from the mountains!
ReplyDeleteHalley & Linda